With luxe comes a heavy price tag, thank God we have the high street (Topshop, Gap, Zara, H&M, Forever 21, Mango, Uniqlo, etc.) that offers luxe for less. Now, all we have to do is know how to shop at high street.
1. Don't get hung up on what the label says. Try other sizes to see which fits you. You may "Small" in Topshop but you'll be shocked to see that you're a "Medium" in Zara. Get what I mean?
2. Never buy catwalk copies. High-street shops are brilliant at doing their own take on trends - look for pieces that are influenced by designers rather than direct imitations.
3. Don't ignore stores just because you've never shopped there. Take a look and you might find something good.
4. Do you research. Before hitting the high street check out store websites to see what's new - often key pieces disappear fast from the shop floor but may still be online.
5. Buy quality basics you can mix and match. When I look at something I like, I think of at least 2 ways to wear them, if I do then I buy it.
6. Some secrets: ZARA - If something doesn't quite fit, you can have it pinned in store and sent away to be altered.
UNIQLO - Uniqlo staff are trained to do alterations on jeans with the hour for just 1.99 GBP for a pair, or if your ourchase is over 19.99 GBP you can have it done for free.
7. Be open-minded. If you love something but it's not perfect, think about creative tweaks - shorten a dress, take the hems down the trousers, remove or add shoulder pads. It's the small touches that can make an outfit transform into something new. (You can add chains to a leather jacket! ;) )
8. Seen something you like? Buy it now and decide later. The high street moves so fast that it may not be there next week. With most return policies you have 7 days to return the item.
9. The best time to shop is the first thing. It's clean and well-organized, and no lines on the changing room.
10. Know your sizes per store. They may have different size orientations and this can save time.
11. Watch out for sales. For items that you see that look good even if it's larger and for accessories, you can wait til the sale. (I'm waiting for the Topman December sale to buy my shearling leather jacket hoping it's 50% off ;) )
I guess that's it. Hope this helps! If you have some more tips, feel free to email me. :D