Friday, November 19, 2010

TOM FORD'S OPINION OF HIS LINE AND WHY HE OPTED TO KEEP IT A SECRET! :)

Courtesy of vogue.co.uk

Tom Ford's Return

TOM FORD has returned to womenswear after six years but has shunned "the immediacy of fashion", refusing to showcase any of his hotly anticipated spring/summer 2011 looks online or elsewhere until December.
"I don't get the need for this immediacy. In fact, I think it's bad," Ford says. "The way the system works now, you see the clothes, within an hour or so they're online, the world sees them. They don't get to a store for six months. The next week, young celebrity girls are wearing them on red carpets. They're in every magazine. The customer is bored with those clothes by the time they get to the store. They're overexposed, you're tired of them, they've lost their freshness."
Tilda Swinton was the catalyst behind Ford's decision to design a womenswear line.
To tell you the truth, I was watching a film with Tilda Swinton - I'm not going to say which one — and she had some good clothes," he tells WWD. "It happened organically. I told myself I would not come back to women's until I felt I had something new to say, and I decided I'm only going to do it if I have fun. Which means I'm going to do it my way. If it's successful, great. If it's not, I'll close it. But I think it will be successful."
The former Gucci creative director says his new collection brings a new mood to the fashion industry, a return to commericially viable clothes.
"I've been watching fashion for the last five or six years, obviously on the side, but I think we've strayed away from real clothes," he says. "I think that there are fashion designers who are artists. Alexander McQueen was an artist. He was a breathtaking, spectacular, go-down-in-history artist. What I do, and I've always said this, is commercial design. I want to make beautiful clothes for women and men who appreciate detail, quality. That's what I do. I felt that I wasn't seeing that coming from anywhere else. And I wanted fashion to be fun. I think all the fun's gone out of fashion."
His show's star cast, which included Beyoncé and Lauren Hutton, reflects the designer's new focus on real women.
"I want to concentrate on real women and the real customer," he explains. "That was also one reason last night I showed on idealised versions of our real customers, all different women of all different ages. It was all about individuality, individual style, different body types, women who have their own style."

No comments:

Post a Comment