Monday, November 1, 2010

ELLY JACKSON

So I was watching the Chanel Haute Couture Fall/Winter 2009-2010 and the first song played was La Roux's "In for the Kill." It made me remember that La Roux's Elly Jackson has an interesting sense of style. A style worth blogging about.

You see, Elly Jackson has a very androgyneous look and her fashion matches it. Well she said it herself, she doesn't feel comfortable in girl's clothes. Wow! How does she say that? Haha! She has a very distinct voice, very high!

I personally love her fashion sense and would like to wear the clothes she wears. (Maybe because she dresses like a dandy or david bowie!) I seriously love her music and her style. She even got to perform at the Viktor and Rolf Spring 2011 Menswear (Yes! Menswear) fashion show. Well, Annie Lennox performed at Dolce and Gabbana's Menswear Collection. But Annie wore a Dolce and Gabbana gown while Elly wore a Viktor and Rolf suit and glasses. And, Elly's performance was better.

Here's an article I found on the Internet about Elly's fashion sense.

SOURCE: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/sep/27/elly-jackson-la-roux-fashion

How I get dressed

The singer of La Roux, Elly Jackson, on pointy shoes and pointy hair.

When I was younger I dressed like a bit of a loser. I didn't have a clue. Even though there were things I loved when I was a kid, like dressing like a wizard, I was pretty directionless. My mum's an actress and used to have a lot of theatre clothes around that she'd been given (or slyly stolen), and there was this amazing to-the-floor patchwork coat that I wore to school a few times. Most of the time as a child, though, I just wore tracksuits because I thought I was a boy. And when I was eight I became really into football and started wearing an Arsenal shirt every day.

I think at school you're almost incapable of doing anything outside of what your peers do. I went to an incredibly strict, religious private school, and it sucked the life out of me. There were ridiculous uniform regulations, like only wearing a certain type of black shoe. When I got to 16 or 17, the people I was associating with at school didn't fit in with the person I wanted to grow into. Although I didn't know it then, I think I was incredibly stifled. My friends were all very girly, going out in miniskirts, and I just didn't get it. I also got a lot of crap as a teenager because I was quite a lot bigger than I am now. There would be groups of girls at the bus stop just shouting: "FAT!", and I lost a lot of weight after that.

When I went to college, I started to come out of my shell. It was full of arty, musical people and I felt free to experiment. I wore skintight pinstripe trousers and really pointy black shoes - I looked a bit like the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Until a couple of years ago I had hair down to my chest. Everyone said I looked like Joni Mitchell. I'd had enough. So I kept cutting it until it got to my ears and started experimenting with it. From then on I just started to look more and more like Rick Astley. I do wear it slicked back sometimes, though, and like to think it echoes Young Americans-era David Bowie. My record label has never had anything to do with the way I look, and I don't think they ever wanted to.

Looking at the kind of women you see on TV, I wouldn't think people would find someone like me attractive, but a lot of girls come up to me in clubs and say things like: "I've got a boyfriend, but I'm attracted to you." That's insane. I have also had girls come up and say that I make them feel better about the way they dress - about not being girly girls and helping them feel better about who they are as people. I don't sit down and write music thinking that sort of thing will happen, but it's amazing. I don't know whether it will last though - I still don't really feel like I'm having that much of an effect.
-------------

Interesting article isn't it?

Well, here's another bonus for y'all!
The video of La Roux in V&R Menswear Spring 2010 show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWKhq7mZQ1s

And if you're curious, here's the Dolce and Gabanna show but I warn you, turn off or mute your speakers while watching this. I love the suits and shoes but the music, it'll make your ears bleed. Annie Lennox was never good anyway, she has a weird music that quite frankly I don't know who understands. But I do love Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) and Sisters Are Doin' It for Themselves. No offense! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR1Tb8wPia0

No comments:

Post a Comment